I attended my first bar camp last Thursday, I was more than a little psyched to be going, I’d heard such great things about these un-conferences.
Real Estate Bar Camps are an opportunity for agents to meet and learn from one another in a casual, discussion oriented environment.
I continue to be in awe of the organizers and how much work they must have done to pull an event like this off. All the volunteer hours they must have invested. I have the utmost respect and admiration for people who plan and manage an event that benefits others more than it benefits themselves. So thank you Toby Boyce, Gloria Cannon, David Childress, Sarah Cooper, Danielle Daniels, Tony DeLuke, Mark Ryan, and Rocky VanBrimmer!
I sat in on Bill Lublin’s session on making Whuffie (discussing social Capital), and picked up some good tips from Bobby Dakno and Sarah Cooper on Photo Blogging. I also enjoyed watching Toby discuss blogging tips.
I realized something at RE Bar Camp OHIO; I’m an advanced social media user. In the future, I’d like to see sessions that discuss additional topics such as:
- Ways to track how SM is benefitting site traffic and SEO
- Using blogging on Ning and Group sites to benefit personal blogs and social capital
- Creative ways to use FaceBook Fan Pages. How to drive traffic through them to your site.
- Recommended applications to make your social media lives easier
- ActiveRain or a personal blog; which is more effective short and long term
- Benefits and best practices when blogging on Active Rain and Group Sites
And although not advanced, the following ought to be covered because in the real estate business it should be key:
- How to turn social media relationships into face to face introductions.
I’m still learning about the culture, so if the purpose of the camp is for casual discussion and to introduce new Realtors into the social media fold, I apologize. But if not, I might consider offering to facilitate some of these discussions now that I’ve got my feet wet! Actually, it was more like being thrown into the deep end of the pool! Never having attended bar camp I got the opportunity to run a first session without notice and without preparation. Before I do it again, I’ll hit up the more experienced campers for tips and tricks on redirecting personal agendas and adversarial personalities first!
The memorable line of the day was from Bill Lublin: “At the risk of getting back to the point…”
The point I wanted to make was the biggest benefit of Real Estate Bar Camp was the people I met and the new relationships I formed. Truly SOCIAL media at its finest.